A driver was clocked speeding at 139mph on the A96 in Scotland, figures obtained by road safety charity the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) show.
The figures obtained by the IAM through a Freedom of Information request to Police Scotland have revealed the top 20 recorded speeding offences in Scotland for the past 15 months.
They show that of the top 20 recorded top speeds between 1 April 2013 and 30 June 2014 just one took place on a motorway “ the rest were on A roads. The speeds were captured on either fixed or mobile speeding cameras and ranged between 114mph and 139mph.
The highest figure was a driver recorded at 139mph on a 60mph stretch of the A96 Keith to Huntly Road, one mile east of the B9115 Junction in Aberdeenshire on a mobile speed camera.
The remainder of the top three were recorded on 70mph limit roads; 129mph on the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen Road at Waterston Road, Angus caught on a fixed speed camera, and 127mph on the A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Moulinearn, Perth and Kinross on a mobile speed camera.
IAM chief executive Simon Best said: These speeds show there are still drivers out there displaying a contempt for the law and for the safety of their fellow road users.
This is made doubly worse by the fact the vast majority of the incidents took place on A roads, therefore putting oncoming motorists, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians at greater risk.â€
The top 20 recorded top speeds are as follows:
Offence speed/speed limit/road
- 139mph/60mph/A96 Keith to Huntly Road approximately one mile east of B9115 junction Aberdeenshire
- 129mph/70mph/A90 Dundee to Aberdeen Road at Waterston Road Angus
- 127mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Moulinearn Perth and Kinross
- 125mph/70mph/A92 Crossgates to Cowdenbeath
- 122mph/70mph/A90 Dundee to Aberdeen Road near Mill of Forest Stonehaven Aberdeenshire
- 121mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow “ Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Greenhillstairs overbridge Beattock
- 121mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow “ Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Torwood overbridge junction 17 Lockerbie
- 121mph/70mph/A90 Aberdeen to Dundee Road at Haughs of Finavon Farm Angus
- 120mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Moulinearn Perth and Kinross
- 119mph/70mph/M80 near to Barnego Road overbridge Dunipace
- 119mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Holms overbridge Beattock/ 12=. 118mph/70 mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian
- 118mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Pitlochry A924 Perth and Kinross
- 118mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Stirling Road at Windyedge Farm Perth and Kinross
- 117mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to north overbridge junction 19 Ecclefechan
- 116mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow “ Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Torwood overbridge junction 17 Lockerbie
- 115mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow “ Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Whicketthorn overbridge Kirkpatrick Fleming
- 115mph/70mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian
- 115mph/60mph/A82(T) public road near White Corries Rannoch Moor Highland
- 114mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to north overbridge junction 19 Ecclefechan
- 114mph/70mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian
By comparison the highest speed recorded on a road in England and Wales was 149mph, by a motorist on the M25 at Swanley between April 2013 and May 2014.